Qualifications Wales: Data Project
From 2017/18 academic year onwards, the responsibility for publishing statistics for general (GQ) and vocational qualifications (VQ) in Wales has transferred from Ofqual to Qualifications Wales. We have responsibility for collecting data on GQs from the November 2017 awarding series. Work is on-going to transfer the responsibility of VQ data collection. In the meantime, Ofqual will continue to collect VQ data on our behalf.
Following our consultation on the design of templates and the schedule for data collection in Wales, we made the decision to use Ofqual templates and match to Ofqual’s collection schedule where possible. This decision will remain for the period of qualification reform in Wales, which runs until Autumn 2019. We will have reviewed our position by the start of the first quarter of 2020.
Data collection templates should be submitted to us using our data collection page on QiW. The QiW guidance document at the bottom of this page will provide further information about the collection process.
We produce statistics on entries for general qualifications regulated by us from centres in Wales. Therefore, entries data submitted to us should include all regulated general qualifications offered. Please note this could include entries for general qualifications that are not listed on QiW. If you do not have entries in Wales for a particular series, please indicate so by selecting the ‘nothing to report’ tickbox on QiW.
Our schedule for collection of general qualifications in 2017-18 is attached at the bottom of this page.
Vocational and Other Qualifications
Work has been ongoing to transfer responsibility for the collection of vocational and other (VQ) data for Wales from Ofqual to Qualifications Wales. We have been considering our approach and have made the following decisions regarding future collection of VQ data in Wales:
- We will collect data on the same basis as Ofqual.Therefore, we will require data on the number of full certifications awarded for all regulated VQs in Wales. Within these collections, certification numbers will be mandatory. The number of registrations per qualification will also be requested, however, this data will be requested on a voluntary basis in line with Ofqual requirements.
- We already hold a list within QiW of ‘designated’ and ‘approved’ qualifications which are offered by recognised awarding bodies in Wales and eligible for use on publicly funded courses for learners under the age of 19. Qualifications that we refer to as ‘other regulated’ are not eligible for public funding in Wales and are not listed in QiW. To allow us to collect data about them we will compile and maintain a list of ‘other regulated’ qualifications. A draft list will be sent to awarding bodies as part of our initial checking process. The list of ‘other regulated’ qualifications will not be displayed publicly on QiW.
We will be working with a representative group of awarding bodies to develop templates and processes for data collection.
We intend to complete a parallel collection with Ofqual in January 2019, which will enable us to test our systems and processes. On this occasion, awarding bodies will be required to submit data to both ourselves and Ofqual. We expect to begin full collection of regulated VQs in Wales in April 2019.
In the meantime, Ofqual will continue to collect VQ data on our behalf. You should continue to submit data on entries and certificates of Welsh learners to Ofqual. We will be using this data to publish statistics on vocational and other qualifications in Wales.
Our intended timeline of activities for the transfer of responsibility for VQ data in Wales in attached at the bottom of this page.
Data security and governance
Our internal Data Protection Policy outlines information about our information and security protocols. Detail included in the policy covers:
- GDPR principles and definitions
- personal data inventory, categorisation, retention and transfer
- privacy notices and rights
- data security
- notification of personal data breaches.
If you would like additional information about our policy and protocols, please contact the data project on the following address:
Data project mailbox: email@example.com